Friday, November 6, 2009

I have a tiger lily that i want to save but lilies dont dry. Is there any other way i can save flowers?

Silica sand is a good preservative. There are many desiccants on the market. Silica gel, borax, alum, fine sand. Desiccants draw the moisture out of the plant without changing it's original color or size. Heavy stems don't survive this method so well, so replace with wire before hand. Hobby Lobby or a florist, any craft store, maybe even Walmart, or a larger nursery would carry this stuff. You need an airtight tin or box with a lid. Pour a layer of the dessicant in the bottom and lay your lily in the box. Move the crystals around with a tiny brush to make sure it is completely coated with the desiccant you choose. Tape the box shut with tape or use an airtight container. Check after a few days, if the crystals have turned pink your flower should be ready to come out, if not keep checking every few days. It may take up to a few weeks depending on which desiccant you choose, but it works really well. Make sure you take your lily out as soon as it is dry though, or it may get brittle and crinkle. I have gently poured some of the silica sand over the flower before I close it to make sure I've gotten every inch of it. Good luck. I'm a big flower gardener. I prefer flowers that have been preserved like this to dried, myself. If you use other desiccants, make sure you ask whether they should be mixed like, 3 parts alum to 2 parts dry sand. You might check your local library for other methods, or "recipes" for this. I've, also, heard this mentioned on gardening shows. There are alot of different ways to do it. This one was just the best for me. I bet your local florist would be willing to explain how it's done. It's been a long time since I preserved anything, but it works really well. Good luck, hope this helps.

I have a tiger lily that i want to save but lilies dont dry. Is there any other way i can save flowers?
have you tried pressing them



super nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive