Saturday, October 24, 2009

Why did my agapanthus (lily of the nile) stop blooming?

Both of my agapanthus started to bloom really early this year, before anyone else around this area. Some of the buds bloomed, but about 90% of them turned into a hard green seedling looking thing. I opened it up to see what was inside and there were some thin black things. Is that seeds? My agapanthus' are getting full sun.

Why did my agapanthus (lily of the nile) stop blooming?
Your agapanthus have bloomed and are now setting seeds. The little black things in the hard green pods are seeds. If you leave the seedpods on the plants they will dry out and turn yellow and you can harvest the seeds and try and plant them next year.





They only bloom once a year and you are going to have to wait for next spring for them to bloom again.





I don't know what zone you are in but my agapanthus do better is semi-shade.
Reply:You could try Miracle Grow or Bloom Booster. Maybe they are just hungry. How long have they been in the same locaion? Have they dried out too much? (aerate the soil, then feed, can't hurt) Do you see other flower buds anywhere on them? Do they show signs of bugs eating them? Geez, I wasn't much help.?.



beauty quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive